Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pipeline Orientation

When I first got to the orientation, I realized I - and TayWeave & Aunty Jeany - were one of the first to arrive. So I was relieved we were on time. Then as the girls (because there were no boys who attended this summer lol) came in I just introduced myself to them. It wasn't scary at all, it was kind of fun actually. We started off with Alisi's Kava ceremony and she explained to us what it meant, very beautiful. The day went on with powerpoints about the PI community's health - and it was not looking good at all. It was depressing, but mostly motivating. It made me want to take charge, take action, take our enemies down! After the last presentation we left to the reception at Marie Callendars which was down the street. Sitting with the other girls and waiting for our families to arrive, we all got more aquainted with each other. And soon everybody was getting along. When everyone got there we met everyone's families and some of the researchers we would be working with and other members/allies of the PI community. It was very touching. The food was so-so, but hey it was free lol.
Shortly after we left to our dorms to call it a day. We all ended up meeting in one dorm and talked all night. It was definitely a great bonding experience.
The next day was the last day, but everyone was a lot more social because we had all got to know eachother so well. We were also able to meet up with highschoolers who were in an afterschool program that would help them get into college. It was so neat to meat with them and discuss our futures, including theirs. The day ended with farewells as were left to get our fingers scanned: basically a background check.
Over all it was a tremendously productive workshop and I'm glad to be a part of the PIHCPP fellowship. I'm happy to met all the new people and strengthen the bonds with the people I already know.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment